A few months ago a lady named "Christine" from our church asked me to pray for her. She said she had been to the hospital in Kampala and diagnosed with cancer in her feet and legs. She then proceeded to show me the swelling and "rottenness" of her feet and ankles. The skin looked like it was "peeling" off of her from the calves downward. I took her to one of the American nurses who attends our church and she said, "Yes, it could be cancer, but you can't really tell by just a physical exam, so bring us your paperwork from Mulago and we'll look at everything and see if there's something further we can do." I then prayed for her and she went on her way. A number of months went by and I didn't see or hear from "Christine" again until last Sunday....when I saw her I asked if she had brought her papers from Mulago Hospital and she she had them. I told her to wait after church so we could talk and see what we could do to help her.
After church, (by the way a 19 year old boy got saved after the service!) I met with "Christine" and I noticed as she handed me her papers that she began to cry....She handed me a 3X5 green card from the clinic that stated her name and then "HIV POSITIVE." Nothing else on the card.....just the "stigma" of her name labeled as "HIV POSITIVE." I sat there with this 29 year old girl and began to cry along with her. It was a difficult moment for me! I sat there, stunned, face to face with the reality of so many here in Uganda. After some time I began to ask her some hard questions, "Do you have children?" (No, I've had 2 children die of HIV) "Are you married?" (No, I'm a widow, my husband has died of HIV) "Are you taking medications?" (No, I fear going to the clinic to get started)......
I got on the phone and called Holly, a mzungu, (white person) who has an orphanage for HIV children and got some counsel from her. She made an appointment for "Christine" to come to her office and she would escort her to the "Hope Clinic" to be seen by doctors and given the newest and most advanced ARV's on the market for free. She promised to walk with her and get her started with her treatments, to be there during this beginning process to answer any questions and calm any fears. I then prayed for her and she left....as she walked out of the gate, I thought of the pain that she must be feeling: the loss of a husband, the burial of not one, but two children and now the reality of this disease in her own body. I also thought of the hope she has as a follower of Jesus Christ: the promise of a day when there will be no more tears, a day when there will be no more pain and a day when there will be no more HIV/Aids!
"Even so, come Lord Jesus!"
Wednesday, November 18, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment